South and West of the town of Killarney is the world famous Killarney National Park and Lakes of Killarney. The park totals 10,236 hectares - comprising the Upper, Middle & Lower Lakes surrounded by mountains and woodlands. The Park is an area of outstanding beauty and includes the peaks of Mangerton - Torc - Shehy and to the west of the park are the MacGillycuddys Reeks - the highest mountain range in Ireland. The nucleus of the National Park is the 4,000 hectare Bourn Vincent Memorial Park, formerly known as the Muckross Estate, which was presented to the State in 1932 by Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Bourn and their son-in-law Senator Arthur Vincent to be Ireland's first National Park. In recent years, lands and waters of the former Kenmare Estate have been added, including Knockreer, Ross Island and Innisfallen. In 1981, the Park was designated by UNESCO as a Biosphere Reserve, part of a world network of natural areas which have conservation, research, education and training as major objectives.